I really don't know where to start to be honest but here goes…

My name is Victoria and I've been seriously ill for nearly two years now. I had some blood tests done through my doctor due to an infection; I really wasn't expecting anything to be honest, I just felt a little tired and a bit of pain. About a week later he called me at work to say they were concerned about my bloods, so they were re-tested. I was then asked, “Can you come in to discuss your results.” This is where my journey started… 

Within two weeks I was seeing a haematologist with suspected leukaemia. I had a lot of tests and luckily I was cleared.

But it didn't end there.

I then went for a ultrasound as I had pretty bad pain in my right side. They found 3 shadows on my right kidney which was suspected cancer of the kidney. I was AGAIN cleared of cancer.

In between this an abscess burst on my right kidney and caused sepsis. I was rushed into intensive care where I nearly passed away. Doctors fought… I fought… 

I had an operation called an nephrostomy tube which drained my abscess, and another operation to fit a stent to help me urinate properly. I was admitted 11 times with infections and twice caught a hospital bug called C Diff. I then found out I had no function on the right kidney. The solution was a nephrectomy (major surgery to remove my kidney). May 16th 2017 was my operation date. I thought I was going to die to be honest, the emotions were overwhelming. At 9:30am I was taken down to theatre for the operation which was meant to take 3-4 hours. 8 hours later I returned, to the relief of my very worried parents. 

My kidney was that much of a mess it had infected my bowel and liver and surrounding organs. I had to have a blood transfusion. I've had such a long journey and I’m still having ongoing issues as you can imagine. 


But I want everyone to know that in your very darkest hours you find the strength and you do come out at the other end, I PROMISE! I want to climb Snowdon when I'm fit and well to help Kidney Research UK. I was meant to climb on the 2nd of June 2018 but due to complications I was unable to and I'm so sad about it. 

I'm going to climb that mountain and I'll have a big bloody drink when I reach that summit 

Thanks for reading my story.

Vicky Shelley xx